There are many great reasons to visit Fajardo. It’s a well-known oasis for boating and water sports. It boasts a picturesque national park, breathtaking beaches, terrific local food, and the infamous glow-in-the-dark bioluminescent bay. But that’s not all. Here are the top 10 reasons to visit Fajardo this year.
1. Cost of travel. Airfare and hotel prices are more reasonable now than ever. You can fly to Puerto Rico for as little as $350. Plus, many hotels – like the Fajardo Inn – are running seasonal promotions that will save you a lot of cash.
2. Beauty. The island is gorgeous. Especially this time of year, but all year long Puerto Rico offers beautiful weather and picturesque landscapes.
3. Culture. Generally, Puerto Rico is a very friendly place. Locals are happy to talk to visitors about the community, traditions, food, you name it! If you want to immerse yourself in local culture and get to know new people, Puerto Rico is the place to go!
4. Voluntourism. There are still volunteer opportunities in Puerto Rico. Although it’s been two years since hurricanes Irma and Maria struck the island, many local agencies still need help. Voluntourism is a great way to explore Puerto Rico and help others.
5. The economy. Tourism is a big piece of Puerto Rico’s economy so visiting the island helps the community a ton!
6. Sustainability. Puerto Rico is now a sustainable travel destination. Puerto Rico is positioning itself as a sustainable travel locale. That’s right! In March, the island passed the Puerto Rico Energy Public Policy Act, which requires a transition to 100% renewable energy by 2050. Meanwhile, a new Green Certification Program to highlight eco-friendly tourism is the first of its kind anywhere in the Caribbean.
7. Sailing and Snorkeling. Puerto Rico offers unparalleled sailing and snorkeling experiences. Right here in Fajardo, the crystal-clear waters of Seven Seas Beach boast the best snorkeling spots on the island. These shallow waters are swarming with tropical fish, coral, and an abundance of other marine life. When conditions are right, visibility extends from up to 75 feet.
8. Adventure abounds. If you’re into adventure, you’ll want to visit the island’s best-known caves, Angels Cave and Ro Camuy Cave Park. Both are large and perfect for spelunking. Angels Cave is home to natural pools and striking calcite formations. The brave-hearted can begin their exploration with a 200-foot rappel down Angel’s Sinkhole.
9. El Yunque National Forest. This rainforest is a must-see for outdoor enthusiasts or anyone who loves a good walk in the woods. El Yunque features trails cloaked with tropical ferns and palm trees. Some lead to hidden waterfalls where hikers can cool off while others to mountain summits. In total, El Yunque covers 28,000 acres of mountainous rainforest terrain.
10. Birding. Puerto Rico is home to about 120 bird species making it a bird-watching paradise for enthusiasts. According to some, the island is an incubator of evolution, with 17 surviving endemic species thriving on the island, many of which can be found in El Yunque.
The Fajardo Inn is just minutes away from El Yunque National Forest and several other attractions on our top 10 list this year. Our accommodations are the best on the island. Rooms accommodate 1 to 6 people and offer a variety of amenities to suit your needs. Book your room today.