Planning a trip to Puerto Rico? Puerto Rico is home to lush rainforests, historic cities, beautiful beaches and much more. From hiking, to exploring, to relaxing on the beach – there’s so much to do. And, when there’s so much to do, there’s a lot to pack. Wondering what to bring? We’ve thought of ten essentials you’ll need to have the perfect Puerto Rican getaway.
What to pack on your next trip to Puerto Rico:
- Supplies to help with hurricane recovery. Hurricanes Irma and Maria totally devastated Puerto Rico. Many went without power or lost their homes and many communities are still rebuilding. But, don’t cancel your trip! Your travel dollars are tremendously helpful during this period of reconstruction. Consider bringing items that may aid in the recovery process, including LifeStraw water filtration systems and solar lanterns.
- Lightweight Clothing. This is kind of a no-brainer. The weather here is generally hot and humid. So, we suggest packing clothing that is loose and lightweight. Items like cotton or linen tops, loose fitting shorts and skirts, and sundress all fit the bill. But, if you’ll be in the mountains, you may considering bring a sweater or sweatshirt as it does get cool in the mountains at night.
- Assorted footwear. Our best recommendations are sturdy athletic sandals, closed-toe athletic shoes or hiking boots, and flip flops. Between hiking, biking and spending time on the beach, these shoes will give you the most mileage.
- Dry Bag for rainy weather, beach going and boating. Puerto Rico weather can range from hot and humid to monsoon-style rain storms – and it can change in the blink of an eye. If you’re planning to do anything outside – which most likely you are – we suggest carrying a waterproof bag to keep your belonging safe and dry.
- A good rain coat. Puerto Rico weather can be wet. In case it rains, make sure to bring along a good rain coat. Today, most jackets you buy can fold up into small pouches making them ideal for packing in a suit case.
- Swimsuit and coverup. Another no-brainer. A good bathing suit is must for swimming, boating and even trekking in Puerto Rico as many of the best hikes lead to waterfalls. Pairing your bathing suit with a sarong-like cover-up will give you some decent sun protection without keeping you too warm.
- A good backpack. Your trip will likely be full of lots of activities – but you’ll still need your stuff. A good backpack will save the day.
- Sunglasses. You won’t want to be outside without them. UVA/UVB rays are just as bad for your eyes as they are for you skin. Your best bet is a pair of polarized glasses that have added sun protection.
- Sun Hat. In case you haven’t heard, the sun is strong here so it’s wise to bring a good sun hat – especially if your skin is sensitive to the sun.
- Binoculars. Binoculars are not always a top travel priority, but they’re great to have in Puerto Rico. Here, there’s an abundance of wildlife. You’re likely to spot many indigenous species while trekking through the rainforest. Don’t miss them!
What’s the best time of year to take a trip to Puerto Rico?
Most agree that the best time to visit Puerto Rico is from mid-spring to mid-summer – just before the rainy season.
Where should you stay?
Fajardo Inn is open and welcoming guests (and volunteers)! Here, you’ll find everything you need to have an unforgettable puerto rican vacation. Visit our Rooms and Reservations pages to learn more about our beautiful resort.